News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
  • Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.

I wonder if all of the old BabTech haters will come out for this one.

• Like 1

Don't the objections about the rocks also apply to the Alderaan debri's?

Its interesting to note the atosphere remained, as it probably means the total destruction unleasehed was much less than a 100 petatons.

With the caveat that I've only seen the first three series of B5, and am therefore going purely off this video, I don't understand how this evidence is being interpreted as "the Vorlons can't mass-scatter planets".  It was explicitly stated that Arcotta 7 was "not there anymore".  This absence is attributed to the Vorlon fleet.  The fact that the other planets attacked were still there after their Vorlon visitors left doesn't change the fact that Arcotta 7 was not.

With the caveat that I've only seen the first three series of B5, and am therefore going purely off this video, I don't understand how this evidence is being interpreted as "the Vorlons can't mass-scatter planets".  It was explicitly stated that Arcotta 7 was "not there anymore".  This absence is attributed to the Vorlon fleet.  The fact that the other planets attacked were still there after their Vorlon visitors left doesn't change the fact that Arcotta 7 was not.

It's pretty much a case of trying to read too much into Lyta's statement. Arkatta 7 ceased to be a populated planet, obviously, but that doesn't require it to become an asteroid field.

The remains of Alderaan were white hot glowing globs flying out at near relativistic velocity. These rocks were elongated, angular, had impact damage, and looked to be moving slowly to me (of course, that is relative).

Okay, I'll clarify that the initial quotes are based on limited information, and the later ones superior information. Thanks for the feedback, Cap'n.

I mean the asteroids Han discovers upon leaving hyperspace, where Alderaan used to be. Those were moving slowly too.

I mean the asteroids Han discovers upon leaving hyperspace, where Alderaan used to be. Those were moving slowly too.

The Falcon arrived in what Han described as a "meteor shower". The debris he encountered was, to the best of my memory, small, jagged, and low density. It got less dense as they approached the Death Star, which makes sense, as the debris field was expanding away from its point of origin.

It's pretty much a case of trying to read too much into Lyta's statement. Arkatta 7 ceased to be a populated planet, obviously, but that doesn't require it to become an asteroid field.

That's not what they said though.  Not just "destroyed" or "wiped out", which could be interpreted as unihabitable as much as mass-scattered, especially in the light of later evidence.  Gone.  And I don't see how this can be handwaved as "limited information", unless they later describe one of the other, intact, planets in terms of the same thing happening to them as to Arkatta, or otherwise indicate that its still physically present.  Based on the evidence presented I would say that the Vorlons massed against Arkatta as the local Shadow HQ for the opening blow of their campaign, mass scattered it for thoroughness and to make a physchological point, and then redeployed for a broad front advance, hammering planets into lifeless lumps as they went.

I added commentary. Without everyone having to watch again, the "not there anymore" statement can be used by itself it imply the planet's mass was scattered. But it was a knee-jerk reaction to limited information. After all, they just found out about the fleet. Ivanova ordered them to monitor the area for transmissions, and this is how they determined the base was no longer there. Lyta declared the planet was destroyed, and the only information she had was they were up to something.

Later, as their information improves, so does ours.

But scattering the mass of a planet, and performing a 10 hour, incomplete bombardment that leaves the atmosphere intact and people still alive, are different by too many orders of magnitude. To use a recently discussed example, the bombardment is far less thorough than a BDZ, which is billions of times lesser than the destruction of Alderaan. This from the very same weapon? I don't buy it.

In-universe, it is entirely possible the attack was still going on at the time, given the Vorlons scramble all frequencies during the attack.

Also, if they could scatter the mass, why would they waste 10-12 hours bombing the surface?

Thanks for the feedback, it is valuable and helps improve the final video.

Btw, I asked JMS on Twitter about this. I asked if the VPK destroyed planets, why did Ivanova ask for help evacuating survivors from the ground. He replied "She was on heroin."

:)