News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!
  • Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread and post links when I add a new YouTube video. Peopke never seem to subscribe, and miss out.

They don't block my videos. I'm just unable to publish case studies and things that include copyrighted content to YouTube. I have to publish those as QuickTime on my site.

They look neat but I don't like the lack of compatability with virtually all of my favorite games.

For me its just that two grand price tag, like everything apple ££££.

If the thousand dollar mac breaks in 5 years I can still replace a five hundred dollar HP twice (and probably would, though my HP gaming laptop is still going strong after four years, if getting a little long in the tooth for the latest and greatest game.)

I used Wintel machines for many years. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. Any time I use a Windows machine, including my work one, I end up frustrated to the point of yelling. Constant spinning wheels, freezes, program crashes. My Mac does exactly what I tell it to, exactly when I tell it to. The only time I spend waiting is when it is compressing a video, and that is the case with any computer.

It has a dual core processor and 4GB of RAM, but I'd put it against any machine you can buy or build in actual everyday activities. Since it runs on SSD, and MacOSX, it opens apps, moves data, etc. better than one with a spinning hard drive, almost by default. The greatest bottleneck of performance with most machines is not the processor or RAM, but the drive, which can read and write data at a certain speed. SSD is twice as fast as the fastest spinning hard drive. It is quite zippy.

I don't play video games, so that doesn't bother me.

In addition to the speed, MacOS is far more stable than any flavor of Windows. I've had my Air for 2 years, and it has *never* frozen. Not the first time yet. And I process hundreds of videos and thousands of pictures, which is quite a torture test. My work computer running Windows 7 freezes a couple times a week, and wastes an awful lot of my time spinning a blue wheel, trying to decide if it wants to follow my commands. And then sometimes doesn't. All it has to process is text.

And if you're doing anything creative, the software is almost without peer, and comes built in.

Some people complain that they are not easily upgraded or repaired. But I'm not one who wishes to purchase a computer to have more work to do. I don't want to spend every weekend working on it to keep it running. I feel that it should work without requiring hours of maintenance from me. Hence, I use a Mac and drive a Toyota.

I guess it is a bit like the guy who buys a '63 Ford Falcon because it is easier to work on, then ends up constantly working on it. I'd rather spend a little more money, and have it work when I need it to.

I suspect your work computer is underpowered or has a lousy connection or both. As long as I don't overload the start up with programs, Windows 7 is the fastest and most stable version of Windows I've used. Whatever though, ultimately the human animal likes relatively meaningless choices to make mountains out of, otherwise there'd be no Pepsi, only Coke and we'd all still be banging out replies to these threads on our lunch breaks on Blackberries instead of iPhones and Android phones. I guess the possibility exists someone might have visited this forum on a Windows Phone :-P

Well, you see, under powered or poorly maintained are the excuses windows people have used with every windows box I've ever owned or used. Even when my PC was brand new, with the newest processor and plenty of RAM, and when I used all kinds of utilities to keep it maintained.

But that argument itself is part of why I converted. My Mac will hang with or outperform virtually any PC on the market with typical daily activities, with far inferior stats. The OS is not a bloated monstrosity that hogs up all the computer's resources, and it doesn't run dozens of processes in the background that keep it bogged down in the mud. Look at any software that can run on either platform, and you'll see the PC requires greater stats to run the program than the Mac. And the only maintenance I have to do is software updates and keep it somewhat tidy. I've had it a couple years, I've installed and/or uninstalled lots of apps, and I've captured, labelled, and color coded over 3,000 video clips. It is as fast and responsive today as the day I got it. In my experience, PCs slow to a crawl after the first week, prompting constant hardware updates.

I used Wintel machines for many years. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. Any time I use a Windows machine, including my work one, I end up frustrated to the point of yelling. Constant spinning wheels, freezes, program crashes.

Those two lines round up my relationship with the pc pretty well, especially the yelling haha. And mine wasn't a cheap or low end computer, in-fact it was a twelve-hundred pound gaming PC, yet today i suffer from freezin and terrible start up performance, sometimes not being able to do anything for minutes of the desktop coming up. I admit this is probably largely down to poor maintenance and careless downloading (i just can't be asked withi it lol), things i wouldn't have to worry about the mac according to the hype. I no longer play games no where near as much, so the mac is becoming increasingly appealing.

As far as start up time, I can hit the restart button, and 45 seconds later, I'm back up, the Dripbox synced, and everything. Ready to use. Starting up from shutdown is faster, around 30 seconds.