News Ticker
  • IPB version 4.2 installed!

I no longer use the video capture hardware I had for the PC. Now that I have it for the Mac, and like most things Mac, it is far superior, I rarely turn on the PC. Only if I need to rip a disc.

I wonder if anyone wants it. There is no need to go to waste.

However, there are conditions. It should only go to someone who intends to actually use it. I've done this 3 times, and only one person ever used the thing. No need to be greedy, let someone who wants to use it have it.

Also, I reserve the right to change my mind. But there is no charge.

So, let me know why you want it. Are you planning commentary on a different show? Want to help out? Want to offer an alternate viewpoint?

External. Connects via USB 2.0. It has some wires that connect to the video outputs of a DVD player (VCR, etc.). I used it for several years, but now I have one for the Mac. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back. :) It is far better in almost every way. But the Hauppauge still works. I got the Elgato for the Mac a few months ago when I was covering Voyager, so many of the files I'm using now were captured on the PC. It has never missed a frame, as older ATI internal PCI devices I've had often did.

It comes with capture software, but the best thing to do is install the drivers, then use Virtualdub to capture, then deinterlace, crop and trim.

It has never had a problem with protected content, as the aforementioned ATI devices did. But for whatever reason, S-video has never worked, only composite.

You can record an entire movie if you have the drive space, and never miss a single frame.

But again, I only want to give it to someone who intends to actually use it.

External. Connects via USB 2.0. It has some wires that connect to the video outputs of a DVD player (VCR, etc.). I used it for several years, but now I have one for the Mac. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back. :) It is far better in almost every way. But the Hauppauge still works. I got the Elgato for the Mac a few months ago when I was covering Voyager, so many of the files I'm using now were captured on the PC. It has never missed a frame, as older ATI internal PCI devices I've had often did.

It comes with capture software, but the best thing to do is install the drivers, then use Virtualdub to capture, then deinterlace, crop and trim.

It has never had a problem with protected content, as the aforementioned ATI devices did. But for whatever reason, S-video has never worked, only composite.

You can record an entire movie if you have the drive space, and never miss a single frame.

But again, I only want to give it to someone who intends to actually use it.

Yeah, I have to say I don't actually have a use for it. The limited video editing I do, I have alternate ways of importing it. It's a good offer though. I hope someone takes you up on it.

Oh, and I hope you weren't talking about me. I put those DVDs to good use. :) It was nice to get to watch DS9 again on something other than my computer monitor or phone :) I haven't had a chance yet to sit down with Andromeda though. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

No, I've given video capture devices away as I've upgraded several times over the years. Only Curtis ever used it.